WORCESTER WARRIORS FORUM
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A sense of perspective
PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 am 
Major General
Major General

WHEELS WITHIN WHEELS

A noble sentiment, Razza, but regretably when the wheels do fall off it is too late - they need fixing prior to this occurrence!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:29 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Going back to a previous post re stopping the rot Mallinder/Northampton issued Paul Grayson with his P45 after successful season's.

An available backs coach that I'm sure we could benefit from.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:09 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

I think that we have to give RH another year, here is why;

1. We have made improvements every year. Year 1 - Promotion, Year 2 - Survival, Year 3 - Better flowing rugby, not quite there but almost. I think with a little (and I really mean a little improvement) 5 or 6 losses this year will be wins next year.

2. Change the head coach now would definitely put us into a relegation fight because he would want us to play his style of rugby. That will take time to embed, and next year it will be a competitive league. I think that Newcastle will be no push over.

Look at the successful Rugby & Football clubs they have consistency in there coaching staff which breads consistency in playing staff. Otherwise we run the risk of becoming a Chelsea, changing coaches every year year, with there players they should win the league every year.

In conclusion, I not happy with where we are, but I'm not to un-happy we're not in a relegation fight we are playing better rugby.

And please don't pay any attention to what you hear written on the club site or papers. This might have RH's name on it, but it comes straght from a PR agency. Every piece is written the same way whether it RH, CD or one of the players.

Mr Hill has to have one more year, if we're not top 6 next year let the fat lady sing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:08 pm 
Captain
Captain

Bushi, I get what you're saying, and all the others too, about giving Hill more time.

But... can you please explain to me then why it has taken teams like Bath, Gloucester, Irish, Sale & Wasps a little less or a little more than a year to start to 'click' (granted, not perfectly, but all performing better than we are within less time) - whilst we are expected to allow Hill a 4th year to still settle in?!?

For those who like to reference Exeter, it is worth noting that Baxter was only in charge of them for their final year in the Championship (I believe), before moving on to the premiership. Arguably that is the same length of time as Hill, with a squad of equally similar strength, but facilities and funding which are in some ways inferior to ours. After last weekends performance no one will deny that they are a better team than us. As far as I am aware, Baxter is also NOT a 'level 5 qualified coach'!

Anyway, I'm not trying to be combative, but I do genuinely fail to understand why it is taking Hill so long to show measurable and consistent gains with the team. You must acknowledge that the odd successful performance this season, whilst fantastic to watch, were the anomalies - with the majority of our games (wins and losses) being relatively dour affairs and representing the norm.

Cynically, if we do make the Top 6 next year, it will be on the strength of our temporary (Hill's admission, not mine) Argentinian and other hired guns, whilst we pave the way for a younger, more homegrown squad - requiring yet again more time to develop, bed in and succeed. It is, I'm afraid, in my unbalanced opinion, utter madness to consider Hill as our long term future.

Couple this with the fact that Hill requires a defense coach to teach defense, an attack coach to teach attack, a forwards coach or two to teach the forwards and a ref coach to teach discipline I really fail to understand what it is that HE actually brings to the party.

(ps all views expressed here are my own - please accept and respect that!)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:30 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

MGI, I'm not convinced, or predicting, that the wheels WILL come off. I'm just saying that that is the only situation in which my optimism will waver (how's that for optimistic!!).

PI, some of the clubs you mention who have bounced back quickly are long-established top organisations which have good firm foundations and are used to successful campaigns. That, I believe, is a major factor in any resurgence.

Also, Exeter did play well last week (better than us, of course), but they didn't do anything different or innovative, although I was impressed with their willingness to run the ball from every area of the pitch. Whilst we have improved every year under Hill (albeit slowly), it could be argued that Exeter may be on a downward track as they won't have HC rugby next year. It all depends on what you are trying to prove, as to which statistics you employ.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:09 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Maybe we will see full time DoR and coaching staff next season

http://www.worcesternews.co.uk/sport/wr ... _a_revamp/

Interesting what Cecil says about AG makes you think that Hill is behind him leaving alas he is I believe 34 years of age and changes have to be made eventually

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:33 am 
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Looks like a bloody big kick up the backside for RH. It seems that Cecil is not a happy bunny.

My quandary is this; had we been allowed to win the home games against Bath, Gloucester and Leicester, would we have had the confidence to go on and produce victories away from home. It must demoralize players when no matter what you do you know you will not be allowed to win. If we had won those games what would be said on this forum? RH for the Lions job? Isn't the world of sports fans a fickle one!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:06 pm 
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

I was impressed with the honesty of the interview with Cecil in the Worcester News. It has been a highly disappointing season indeed - no premiership away wins, barely 50% at home, bombed out of the LV again, out of Europe at the first hurdle, hammered in the A league, lost some key home grown talent, smashed up front most of the season. Something has to change and all fingers point to the coaching set up. It would be interesting to set Hill a win 2 out of the last 3 challenge and see if he passed.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:21 am 
Major General
Major General

DUCK OR GROUSE

I am surprised we have not experienced a massive hostile reaction in Cecil's direction on the grounds that he was being negative. Perhaps these petty thought police types will now desist given that the great white leader has echoed the thoughts of many of the more rational posters on this forum! (I wont be holding my breath)

Call me old fashioned!