WORCESTER WARRIORS FORUM
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Now Mullan is gone enough is enough
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:24 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

With the move to Wasps of Matt Mullan I have come to the conclusion that success at Sixways on the rugby pitch does not matter to the heirarcy there. We have developed and lost so many good (even great) players over the past 11 years I have been in the city and they all go to other clubs.
My opinion is that the ownership feel that as long as we are in the top tier, no matter how close to the bottom, they have a fan base that they can milk for all they are worth.

This state of affairs is unacceptable. I no longer buy a season ticket, and have now decided that my sports entertainment money can be better spent elsewhere. I have made friends through the Warriors and I hope they understand my decision. I will always check up on the results as Worcester was my first club in this wonderful country, but I cannot in good conscience support the current ownership financially.

Thank you,

Simon

Post subject: Re: Now Mullan is gone enough is enough
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

I'm going to sound like a mouthpiece of the club here, but what exactly would you have had the owners do? I do not have much knowledge of the day-to-day running of the club, but I've heard that both Mullan and Kvesic were offered more money here than at the clubs they have supposedly signed for. That's pretty much the only thing they have to offer since we aren't in the HC.

As much as money is a consideration for most players, it's not the only thing they want, and I'd rather we spend money on players that want to be here than overpay players who do not.

Personally I would like to see full-time coaches come in. If the part-timer approach was entirely down to the ownership, then they must carry some of the blame for some of the underwhelming performances we've seen this season. But I don't hold them particularly responsible for players leaving.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:01 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Please enlighten me as to who else to blame? The owners create the team, through the coach create the system, and through the relationship that they have with the fanbase and the players, create the atmosphere that the club has and the ethos of said club.

When your club cannot keep it's self developed players of quality, that is down to the structures, attitude and atmosphere created by the owners.

As owners if you cannot keep your best, and pay over the odds for replacements in a lot of cases, you have IMHO failed to create the right atmosphere at your club. Unless as I stated, success on the pitch at the club is ancilliary to your business plan, which I think it is. I think as long as 7000 people can still be counted on to come through the turnstiles no matter what is put on the pitch, they are happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:02 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Why should the ownership continue to take massive losses and take the financial hit themselves. Cecil has spent well over £30 million of his own money helping the Warriors he now wants to run a sustainable business so the Warriors will be here when he is not. That has lead to some cost cutting in terms of part time staff and no more big money signings such as Rico and Latham. We are improving the squad for next year, we have signed a current international for our back row next year and added a man with international 7's experience and also huge HC experience at 10.

Yes we have lost a few but if we bring in the types of players we have so far announced I am sure we will get up the league next year.

As for you no longer wanting to support such evil owners then well thats your choice perhaps you should consider the bigger picture which is in 30 years time the Warriors will still be playing professional rugby but clubs like Saracens who require on a backer may not be as he may take off into the sun and leave them high and dry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:07 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

In 30 years time? Are you still in Worcester? Is Worcester still above water? Are we still able to go to games? All questions we cannot answer so please do not tell me to look that long term.

And I did not say the owners were evil, they are businessmen now and the teams success is not at the forefront as long as the supporters still come out, no matter what, they will be happy for us to meander along in the bottom four.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:22 pm 
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

After sundays result the game at sixways this weekend may well be the start of that loyal customer base looking elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm 
Private
Private

Tony , as long as it isn't gloucester :smt005

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:32 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

I can guarentee you that Worcester will be above water in 30 years, being based in the middle of the country a lot of the UK will have to flood first.

Yes in 30 years we will still be able to attend games. We will need tickets so your policy as outlined in your first post of no longer buying a ticket will hamper you, but if you backtrack then you will be fine.

I can also guarentee that I will be in Worcester for the home games, its the only time I am in Worcester I travel 40 miles for the games but I am happy to do so.

Success is at the forefront of the business plan, if the Warriors are successful then it will attract higher crowds and more money. The fact that we have failed to hold on to 2 promising players is a blow but its not the end of the World, the Tigers have failed to keep hold of one of the brightest prospects in World rugby, there fans are not slating the owners or calling for the coach to be sacked (As some on here have done). It is a setback I am sure we will replace them and I am sure the players bought in will be of good standard.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:46 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Dave32- I like your post and agree with you. It is by no means the end of the world that MK and MM have gone, in fact, MM is without doubt a fantastic player but over the last two years has been injured much more than he/we would like. I would argue that two years ago he would have been more of a loss than he is today.

May I take this opportunity to wish all the players that leave a good future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:16 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Dave32 On the nose my friend couldn't have put it better myself.
Life goes on I remember a few seasons ago we were all doom and gloom because we had the championship to contend with, having not got above the bottom two at this stage in the prem,we lost a few that year to, now we have (IMHO)a better team than then...
We have one of the best clubs in the league and I'm not the only one saying it speaking to visiting fans we have something special here, and I agree...
We could do with full time coaches that's for sure but Hilly's still got a way to go for me, he's made some good signings. The trouble with these young players is they have very persuading agents who see the big clubs as promotion in pay scales and not just for thier boy... :smt011

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:12 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

What is all this with part time coaches? Some are effective some are not! Without Phil Larder we would have been relegated last year and he achieves more on a part time basis than some of our full staff do. So let us be specific about which staff we mean and not tar great people like PL with the same brush.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:22 am 
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

I seem to remember hearing the doom and gloom merchants every year. We lost two of the best wingers you will ever see (IMHO) at the end of last year yet we have scored more tries and even won two try bonus points and the season isn't over yet.

Slag off the coaching all you like, we are playing better rugby year upon year (ok, forget some of the Mike Ruddock games) and I will happily turn a blind eye to the odd dodgy performance in the cup. As long as we progress in the league then I'm happy.

No one is irreplacable.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 am 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Absolutely, Fiver. Hill first got us promotion, then kept us up, then nudged us upthe table a fraction - inch by inch is the only way we can do it, and so far it's working.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I have to agree. There is visible year on year progress, and that is largly down to Hill. It's diffuclt to know what constraints there are behind the scenes but very frustrating that we can't kick on, while Wasps turn around in half a season. I don't think a new head coach would necessarily do any better with the resources available.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 pm 
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

I remember moving to Worcester just as the west and south stands opened. I don't know what lowly league we were playing in but I have seen the club steadily rise to what we see now.

The likes of Leicester, Bath, Wasps etc.. have been at it in the top division since the dawn of time and look where some of them are now. Bath play on a council rec, Wasps play on a football pitch, Saracens have only just got a home, London Irish play on a football pitch in Reading, London Welsh play on a football pitch in Oxford. Whatever happened to London Scottish? I remember as a kid hearing the results of all the exile teams on the TV so they must have been high up. I have no idea but looking at their name I would probably start looking for them around Southampton (or somewhere nowhere near London in any case).

So what if one or two decent players leave, we'll just buy in someone else and life moves on. Next time you visit Sixways take a good look and think yourself damn lucky you live in Worcester.