WORCESTER WARRIORS FORUM
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: London Welsh, Sale and Leicester must be our priorities
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:34 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Despite our fine performance against Perpignan I'm afraid that our priority must be our league fixtures. The games against London Welsh and Sale are crucial and a home game against Leicester in front of a big crowd is also far more important than an away game in France. The loss of JC is now a big worry as he provides cover at fly half and at 12 so any injury to Andy Goode at this stage would be a real problem given that we simply have to beat London Welsh. Without MM the loose head situation is also not fantastic as Porter who looked a great prospect seems to have slipped off the radar. On the positive side we seemed to have at long last solved the tight head problem.

Post subject: Re: London Welsh, Sale and Leicester must be our priorities
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:44 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

I agree entirely 'Morningman'. I think that Perpignan are probably going to pip us to the post anyway so let's not risk our key players :smt017

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:10 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

This may come across as arrogant, but I firmly believe we need to dish out a beating to Welsh. If we come away with 5 points and a good margin, it will act as a boost to the team's confidence, since it will help establish a buffer between us and the bottom teams. Likewise with Sale, though away on a (likely) rainy friday night will be a harder fixture.

I agree we should look to beat Tigers at home (as everyone), but it won't be easy.

I disagree with the opinions on the Perpignan game however. If we are to be taken seriously when we set HC rugby as an ambition, we should be able to back it up with actions. That includes going away to a very tough French team and getting a result. HC rugby for its own ends is useless. We want to compete.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

I also disagree with you morningman.

We are starting to build momentum and the best way to prepare for beating Welsh and Sale is to put in another good performance in Perpignan.

We have seen how well we do when we rest key players. :smt012 When someone is in form I say keep playing them, don't risk breaking that run.

Yes, there is a risk in playing Goodey in France but there is a risk every time he steps onto the training field.

All IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:16 pm 
Captain
Captain

Priority is to win gages ... period..

More games won then more confidence and a bit more apprehension from the opposition..

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:41 pm 
Captain
Captain

It was interesting watching some of the away HK games this weekend, especially those played in France. It's a hell of a prospect going away to places like any of the 'Stades' or even Cardiff, Ulster etc. Hostile environments to say the least and real tests of a teams character.

A good battling performance at Perpignan (win or loose) will really show up the squad and how much we have progressed. A non starter like we had against Exeter away will be a real shame, if not for others expectations of us than for our own Squads.

I for one think we stand a pretty good chance if we can cut out the indiscipline, and I would definitely field the strongest squad we have. It's a big test and we need our big guns putting in big performances :smt023

As for Welsh, Sharks and Tigers, I'll be happy with 3 out of 3, although I don't expect a win away from :) I just get the feeling that when Sale click (and they will click at some point) it's going to be us that will be on the opposite end of the field!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:51 am 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

And what about our players thoughts on this matter.
One of the biggest reasons given (on this forum) for not being able to sign star players is because it is assumed that they want to play in big games in big stadiums against big teams.
We've got a big game this weekend, in a big stadium, against a big team. How do you think Kevesic (for arguments sake) will react to the news that we're prepared to throw this match? That he's too good for it and he can stay at home with his family this weekend instead of having an away day in France.
You know what? I reckon if he was told that then he'd spend all weekend on the phone to his agent and the Managers of 'top' teams who would appreciate his talent.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:35 am 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

BB - Agree about Goode, if you are scared of him getting injured you would never play him.

Chastt - nail, head, hit thereon.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:24 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Have to agree with chastt. This is the sort of game that we should be exhibiting as a reason to join us. If we field an under-strength side, it just sends out the wrong message to prospects.

By all means if we are getting hammered at half-time/ early second-half, start taking off people like Goodey and wrap them in cotton-wool so they don't get injured chasing a lost cause, but we must start with our strongest available XV, we just have to.

And although I would love to 'send a message' by thumping Welsh, I really can't see it happening. Have you seen them play this season? They're playing a good brand of rugby, have a very strong squad spirit, and they're going to be MASSIVELY up for our game. And they're getting the results, they have more wins than us and the same amount of away wins as us. If we do win, it will be a close one, mark my words. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Arscott feels he has a point to prove against us. Isn't Balding with them as well, now?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:42 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

I would like to think that we will be up for this weekend's game. It is a big game against a big club, with a worthwhile reward for a good result. It would set the squad up nicely for the next three games. I absolutely agree that Welsh, Sharks and Tiggers are massive games and three wins should be the target. If we beat Welsh and Sharks then, IMO, we are technically (if not mathematically) safe. It would take an unprecedented, and virtually unthinkable, turn of fortune for Sale to catch us in the second half of the season. Even if we don't pick up another point after Christmas, they would have to win four or five games just to catch us, so I think that would be a pretty big shout. Knowing that we would be virtually out of sight, i that situation, would allow the team to play a more relaxed form of rugby, which may be just what they need.