Next Home Match
WORCESTER WARRIORS FORUM
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Better Squad?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:58 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

A lot of people on this forum keep batting on about how much stronger our squad is this season. Well, I'm not so sure. Many of the players brought in over the last couple of seasons are the wrong side of 30 - Lemi, Perry, Clarke, both Jones', Walker, Schofield, Hodgson etc. I know it has been impossible to hang on to our brighter prospects but can you imagine a team built around Mullan, Kitchener, Wood, Kvesic, Abbott, Grove, Benjamin Garvey and Pennell, with a few experienced heads thrown in? That sort of team would fill me with a lot more enthusiasm that the current one (Kitchener was named Man of the Match in the weekend Tigers/Northampton game). Also, it still wrankles with me that we let Kai Horstman leave (still only 30) and he was snapped up by a club who seem to be a lot more successful than us - I read that he now has England ambitions!
Still not to worry - Worcester Bosch are doing a lot of advertising on the box at the moment. Cecil is obviously aware of the problem and is bidding to boost sales in order to generate enough funds for new recruitment :smt029

Post subject: Re: Better Squad?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:04 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Much as I agree with your sentiment Smiler.........regarding your comment about Kai have you noticed (as I have) that he's not yet been able to break into the Exeter side. What does that tell you about our squad ? To be fair, I'm not sure if he's injured at the moment though ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:05 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I would have Percy over Kitch every day of the week.
Sure he is now getting some starts for the Tigers, but if Percy was with them so would he, but he isn't he is with us. Actually I think it says a lot about Tigers that they are starting Kitch. To me it says that they are not as strong as they once were and should no longer be viewed as invincible, even by us. I think we have the strongest squad that we have had for years, and Tigers the weakest. Having said all that, they are still stronger than us.

Murray will help solidify the front row. The next problem to address is our balance in the second and consequently in the back row.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 pm 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Kai is injured.

Kitch is playing some astonishing rugby - it has nothing to do with weakness in the Tigers squad, everything to do with the fact that he is quite probably the most exciting second row prospect in English rugby at the moment. Equally, he is such a different player from Percy as to make the comparison redundant.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:46 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

A top 6 side would only have from our squad:

Mullan
Murray
Schofield
Chris Jones or Percival
Kvesic
Hodgson
Goode

That says all you need to know.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:53 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

In fairness, most of those were Richard Hill signings and three of them were signed this year. I have suggested before that maye RH is a great motivator to gain promotion but not so hot after that, a la Kevin Keegan, but given the fact that we don't have unlimited funds, it says a lot for his judgement that those names are there.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:09 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

dave32 wrote:
A top 6 side would only have from our squad:

Mullan
Murray
Schofield
Chris Jones or Percival
Kvesic
Hodgson
Goode

That says all you need to know.

And yet top six teams other than Exeter would only take Johnson, Hayes, Jess and Mieres from the Chiefs IMO. Exeter are greater than the sum of their parts - something we are yet to achieve. It's not all about the players in the squad.

In my view, we have a squad that is fully capable of having our best season ever and of playing some exciting rugby. There are, however, a number of issues that need addressing to help us become a good team - solid set pieces, support play, player configurations at 4-8 and a bit of self-belief.

Once we get Murray in at 3, the pressure will be off Andress and he may flourish in a more relaxed atmosphere. I think a few more sessions with Rourre will help our support play - as will the return of our injured wingers.

The biggest player problem Hill desperately needs to sort out, is what is going on with the second row; Each of our four lanky boys brings something, but not all can play, nor should they. Hill must bite the bullet and select two locks, and then pick a balanced back row to compensate for any weaknesses presented by the second.

Our greatest issue is not a personnel-based one at all IMO. It has been mentioned by others and I shall repeat it: Worcester do not yet believe themselves to be a top side. We had that self-belief when we were promoted the first time, as we had true perspective on becoming one of the 12 best sides in the country. Years of languishing at the bottom are making their mark - on us as much as the players. I have no idea if the club have looked at sports psychologists, but if we are making no headway by Christmas, I'd say it would be worth a shot.

We have the ingredients - ground, fans, facilities, players, coaches. There is just a spark missing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Spot on Masai Warrior. If you compare our squad with say Exeter or London Welsh, player by player, then we are not inferior. But we are not effective.

It is a worry that the set piece (rolling maul apart)is not as good as previous seasons. At one time that was our saving grace. But even there we are usually competitive enough. The players keep saying what a tight unit they are but that isn't translating into playing as one. Just look at Exeter in that regard. They really believe and it shows. It looks as if London Welsh now do also. We had better watch out!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:42 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Underdog you are spot on when you say that Exeter are greater than the sum of the parts/players. I believe that the squad that we have at the moment are good enough for a high middle of the table position but for various reasons we have yet to achieve our potential. Actually i think that the rolling maul is improving but am still concerned about the breakdown and the need to be more physical at times.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:33 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Is it me or are the forwards getting a bit too relaxed?? when the ball is loose after the tackle we don't drive hard over the ball to reposses quick enough, we allow the other team to regroup and get over the ball and give it away!!in my book possession is nine tenths of the law!! you had to be at Exeter last week to see that, we should take a big lesson from that!! :smt009

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:43 pm 
Colour Sergeant
Colour Sergeant

Comparing out squad to London Welsh is stupid they are below us in the league. Comparing it to Exeter is fair enough, quality players do not just have skill they have commitment and various other attributes required to be top players

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 4:53 am 
Major General
Major General

TABLE TALK

I wonder how long the Welsh will remain below us?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:53 pm 
Regiment Sergeant Major
Regiment Sergeant Major

Having trouble sleeping MGI?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:03 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Smiler, Jon Clarke is younger than Marcel, and Nikki Walker and David Lemi are only just 30, a few months older.

Those you mention are the experienced heads around younger players like Josh M, Matts M & K, Jake, Alex, Chris, Jonny Arr and Joe Carlisle, etc.

Yes, it would have been nice to have kept all those who have left and the club tried in the case of every one you mention, but you cannot force a player to stay and sign a new contract.

I think Hilly has recruited really well, with a good mix of proven Premiership experience, not journeymen, and some youngsters thrown in.